Friday 24 March 2017

The Red Dress



The colour red is highly symbolic in the this play; it represents passion, love, excitement, rage, anger and violence.  Paige is making a bold statement from the moment she steps onto the set of her Dinner party, foreshadowing what is to come.  The glorious lobster red of her dress is a warning to the other guests.


Paige tells Lars at the outset that her dinner is '...my statement. It's my creation like Frankenstein's monster'.


I wouldn't usually choose to wear a red dress; it takes an attitude and confidence to wear such an attention seeking dress, that I personally don't have.  But, it's an essential element for me in becoming Paige and preparing for Dinner. The red dress Paige wears sends a warning to all; watch out, I bite.

This play has the flavour of a modern  day Jacobean revenge tragedy.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”  
from The Duchess of Malfi



I'll leave you with Helen Mirren from The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover. There's a bit of red symbolism for you.

Tickets for Dinner can be purchased here.

Buy Tickets for Dinner








No comments:

Post a Comment